Monday, April 29, 2013

Study, Study, Study...

Quilt Judging Certification Programme (QJCP)

I'm on a long term learning curve to become a quilt judge and the process has been sometimes easy, sometimes hard, but always fun. Being a teacher in the quilting world, I take the best results of what I've learned over the years and share that knowledge and passion with students. But that doesn't mean that there still might not be a better way. Taking the QJCP course has really opened my eyes that there is always something more to learn. Here's a quick glimpse at one of the fun exercises I had to do along the way...

These required exercises were from the book: Color and Composition for the Creative Quilter by Katie Pasquini Masopust and Brett Barker. For the judging course we did ALL of the exercises in this book and I highly recommend it for quilters who are looking to boost their knowledge for their own designs.



Line and Shape - Composing with Line

Horizontal Composition
Radiating Composition


Diagonal Composition
Framed/Border Composition

The idea of the exercises was to simply cut fuse-backed fabric in strips and work out a few designs of your own following the Nine-Patch of Compositions in the book. It was fun and a great way to train your eye to spot the different compositions as a judge. 

If you are interested in checking out this excellent book I spotted it on Amazon for a great price. And you can get it on your Kindle for under $10, although I'd recommend the hard copy color version of course!

So happy trails with quilting - are you stalled with creativity? Sign up for a local class in your area to boost your creative spirit, or book one of my workshops for your guild at Brandy Lynn Designs.







No comments:

Post a Comment