Monday, May 20, 2013

Quilt Judging Certification Programme

I am thrilled to announce that I am now officially an Apprentice Judge! After 6 full days of classes, I am exhausted, but fully inspired and ready to go crazy in my studio this week. I just have to mention the amazing workshops I've taken this past week at the CQA/ACC Quilt BC conference. (And I'll feature them each in their own post this week.)

Monday to Wednesday - QJCP - level 1 judging
Thursday to Friday - Inspired by Travel - Margie Davidson
Saturday - Take a Leaf - Judy Farrow

But first, let's get back to the judging...


The QJCP class was preceded by 6 months of required reading, exercises and optional reading. Although at times intensive, this was a great way to create a base of knowledge, but also focus on areas where I had less experience. If you are considering the path of judging - sign up early and give yourself 6 months, planning to study at least 3 evenings a week. I think I spent an entire week just researching trapunto, because it happened to be a technique I'd never tried. The 3 day course was packed with content and intensive mock judging experiences. The Instructors Kathleen Bissett and Anna Hergert both brought an incredible amount of depth and knowledge to the course and ran it with an element of class that sets the stage for great judging in Canada.


The best part of this course, and the reason I want to be certified as a judge, is that the role of a judge is to teach. Yes, of course, all of the technical skill, design and colour elements are to be considered and critiqued, but the quilter needs to come away with some serious benefit from the judge's comments. 

I am very proud to be an Apprentice Judge! If you have a judged show coming up in your area, let me know. I just might get a chance to meet you in person! 

Cheers! 



1 comment:

  1. Congrats! What an amazing achievement. I commend you for all the studying and hard work...looks like it paid off for you!

    ReplyDelete